Women’s Health Clapham
Jo and Regan are our women’s health specialists with over 20 years’ experience of treating women from adolescence to old age. They are passionate about their field and embrace a holistic approach, understanding the stresses and constraints of modern day living (did we mention they have 5 children between them?).
Jo and Regan head up a team that cover issues ranging from pregnancy related back pain, pelvic girdle pain, continence issues (1 in 3 women experience bladder problems at some stage in their lives), gynae surgery and post natal MOT’s: the team also offer Women only kettlebell classes, core fitness classes, personal fitness training, massage and soft tissue therapy. Jo Fordyce is also a licensed provider of the “Mummy MOT” get one before you begin or restart exercise after delivery.
Jo has a particular interest in bladder and bowel complaints, sexual problems and pelvic pain, and the Mummy MOT, whilst Regan is passionate about the womens only classes she runs and treating women with back and pelvic pain associated with pregnancy.
The Women’s Health and Fitness team cater to women of all ages and at every stage of life…
Congratulations!! Pregnancy is a fascinating journey, smooth for some and a tad rocky for others but always full of learning and expectation. Let us share our experience with you, whether it’s pointers to keep fit and active, hands on help with pain or continence issues, here at Balance we would love to accompany you on that journey.
We aim to keep you strong and healthy throughout your pregnancy. Pelvic floor, posture, total body strength and endurance, stretch safely to prevent pelvic pain.
We can guide you on:
- what physical changes you will experience,
- how best to adapt to these (including ergonomics at work),
- how to avoid the pain and pitfalls (such as pelvic girdle pain & abdominal separation)
- exercising during your pregnancy
- pelvic floor education (let’s face it no-one wants to leak when they laugh!)
- sexual issues
- and take home conditioning exercises to keep you in great shape until the big day.
Most importantly it gives you chance to ask all your questions in a relaxed environment. Let us pass on our experience so you can get on with enjoying your pregnancy.
Exercise, pain prevention and kicking off your pregnancy informed and educated.
Postnatal Mummy MOT
A Mummy MOT is a specialist postnatal examination for women following both vaginal and caesarean deliveries. It will assess how your posture, pelvic floor muscles and stomach muscles are recovering after birth. And if they’re not, then we can provide you with exercises and treatment to help in your recovery and to return to exercise safely.
But you dont have to have a Mummy MOT, to book in or speak to Jo or Regan with any concerns, doubts or questions call 02076272308.
Continence problems aren’t just the bane of those pregnant, women of all ages put up with it and endure the embarrassment of leaking, unaware that there is often a relatively simple solution.
- the first step is to come and have an assessment. Discuss the issues and understand the most common causes
- learn the correct exercises to practice, with the right form
- learn specific strategies to deal with your problems whilst you go through the process of recovery
- integrate the strength and control you gain from your exercises into daily life tuning of lifestyle and specific strategies
Content coming soon…in meantime book in or speak to Jo Fordyce with any concerns, doubts or questions – 02076272308.
Pelvic pain, what is it?
Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) is an all-encompassing term for pain anywhere around your pelvic ring (i.e. back, hips, groin, thighs). Previously known as pubic symphysis dysfunction, it is a common occurrence in pregnancy but also in sports – men and women.
The pelvic girdle is an amazing ring of bones around the lowest part of your torso. There are 3 joints in this ring, one at the front (pubic symphysis joint) and 2 at the back (sacroiliac joints). These 3 joints and their surrounding muscles are the root cause of PGP.
When will I feel it?
In general symptoms are worse during weight bearing or asymmetrical activities, for example;
- turning over in bed,
- walking or running
- using stairs,
- climbing, descending hills
- getting out of a chair or car
- standing on one leg (whether putting on socks or performing any number of yoga asanas)
- swimming breaststroke
- at the end of the day
What can be done about it?
Lots! First of all come to Balance for an assessment with our pelvic/women’s health specialists (Jo or Regan) to identify the cause of your particular symptoms. They will tailor a specific set of interventions and corrections to meet your needs that may include:
- Manual therapy will help the pelvic joints function better and also release over working muscles.
- Exercises that will strengthen and correct muscle imbalances.
- Lifestyle changes will address and adapt any aggravating activities so that you can enjoy your pregnancy without pain.
Useful link http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk
There are of course specific changes that women experience during specific phases of our lives, the menopause is a time when women choose to address health problems that have arisen over a much longer period and sometimes this results in surgery. But gynaecological surgery can be recommended to women of any age for acute or longstanding problems: fortunately there are ways to hasten your recovery and alleviate your problems
- understand and address any symptoms associated with menopause no matter how vague they might seem
- achieve a speedy recovery following hysterectomy
- speed your recovery and ease your discomforts from any other gynaecological surgery
We treat all of our clients as individuals, both men and women. But many fitness practices, protocols and attitudes are geared towards men. At Balance Performance not only are the majority of our coaches and teachers women we also adapt our fitness training methods to suit the unique needs and issues women experience. Join one of our classes, small groups or one-2-one personal training sessions to learn and experience high quality physical training with high yield responses and rewards.
- women only kettlebell fitness class, and women only core and more class, both with women’s health specialist coach – Regan Siviter
- one-2-one kettlebell coaching with Svetlana – the UKs most experienced female kettlebell coach
- personal fitness training for weight loss and leanness (firmer muscles, less body fat) with Svetlana or Ron
- strength and conditioning sessions aimed at specific sports or event performance – from triathlon to netball, a one off marathon or weekly dodgeball with Sabina Skala
- women’s pilates classes, small groups and personal pilates training, mat work or apparatus with Alice and Agur
- learn how to run more efficiently, get back to running after illness or a baby, or start running – every human should be able to – with Ben LeVesconte
Women and men are different! Women, like men, are faced with many health and wellness issues; some can be tackled in the same way by either sex but others need a female biased awareness and approach. Food and exercise are the most obvious ones that can be approached more effectively when you consider gender – even if its just to explore and acknowledge your motivations.
Whatever your health issues the Women’s Health Team, and the Balance Team as a whole can help you.
You can be assured of friendly, confidential and confidence building help fromJo and Regan, our women’s health physiotherapists and their team. They provide simple and effective solutions whether you are pregnant, caring for a newborn, an experienced mother, or quite simply a woman of any age with health or fitness concerns.
If you have concerns or issues affecting your health and happiness call us now to book on 020 7627 2308 or to gather more information leave a message and one of the team will respond ASAP you can also use our contact page to make an enquiry