Jose Manuel Sanz Mengibar
Jose offers Vojta Therapy and neurological/musculoskeletal physiotherapy for children and adults, as well as developmental checks for children with no neurological conditions.
I am a Doctor in physiotherapy. My work combines academic research with clinical practice and is aided by my own experience as an elite-level gymnast. In my 19 years of clinical practice I have worked with the general public and athletes but have specialised in children and adults with neurological disorders. My approach to musculoskeletal / orthopaedic conditions is also grounded in the underlying CNS postural disfunction. My training focuses on neurological physiotherapy and my research explores ontogenetic postural development, motor neuroscience, postural control, and from limited to high motor function. I am committed to transmitting my practice and research via writing and teaching. I have lead-authored six academic articles, authored another three, and seven popular books. I have lectured in courses and congresses in Germany, Italy, and Spain. I am fluent in Spanish, English, Italian and intermediate in German.
Ph.D, MCSP (Phys)
- PhD cum laude
- MSc: Physiotherapy in Neurological Conditions.
- Postgraduate specialisation: Paediatric neurological physiotherapy.
- Physiotherapy Degree
- Marte Meo Therapist. https://www.martemeo.com/en/home
- Respiratory physiotherapy in paediatrics and patients with neurological disorders.
- Dry needling for hypertonia and spasticity.
- Basic Bobath Foundation Course. Two-month course. Bobath Centre London.
- Placement at the Gait Analysis Lab Kinderzentrum, Munich for 3 months
- Myofascial Release
- Kinesiology Taping
Jose’s researching training includes an International PhD with publication in international journals:
- 2021 – Alvero-Cruz JR, Santonja-Medina F, Sanz-Mengibar JM, Sainz de Baranda P. The Sagittal Integral Morphotype in Male and Female Rowers. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021; 18(24):12930.
- 2021 – Hurtado-Avilés J, León-Muñoz VJ, Sanz-Mengibar JM, et al. Validity and reliability of a computerassisted system method to measure axial vertebral rotation. Quant Imaging Med Surg. doi: 10.21037/qims-21-575
- 2021 – Sanz-Mengibar JM, Menendez Pardinas M, Santonja-Medina F. Is the implementation of Vojta Therapy associated with faster gross motor development in children with cerebral palsy. Ideggyógyászati Szemle = Clinical Neuroscience 74 (9–10):329–336.
- 2021 – Hurtado-Aviles J, Roca-González J, Sergeevich Kurochka K, Sanz-Mengibar JM, Santonja-Medina F. Developing of a Mathematical Model to Perform Measurements of Axial Vertebral Rotation on Computer-Aided and Automated Diagnosis Systems, Using Raimondi’s Method. Radiology Research and Practice 74(9–10):329–336.
- 2019 – Sanz-Mengibar JM, Santonja-Medina F. Role of positioning between trunk and pelvis in locomotor function of ambulant children with and without cerebral palsy. Ideggyógyászati Szemle = Clinical Neuroscience 72(9–10):343–351.
- 2019 – Marrades-Caballero E, Santonja-Medina C, Sanz Mengibar J, Santonja-Medina F. Neurologic music therapy in upper-limb rehabilitation in children with severe bilateral cerebral palsy: A randomized controlled trial. European Journal of Physical Rehabilitation and Medicine 54(6):866–872.
- 2018 – Sanz-Mengibar JM, Sainz-de-Baranda P, Santonja-Medina F. Training intensity and sagittal curvature of the spine in male and female artistic gymnasts. Journal of Sports Medicine Physical Fitness 58(4): 465–471.
- 2017 – Sanz-Mengibar JM, Altschuck N, Sanchez-de-Muniain P, Bauer C, Santonja-Medina F. Position between trunk and pelvis during gait depending on the gross motor function classification system. Pediatric Physical Therapy 29(2): 130–137.
- 2017 – Sanz-Mengibar JM, Santonja-Medina F. Correlation between sagittal spinal curves and gross motor function in children with typical development and with spastic bilateral cerebral palsy. Pilot study. Archives of Paediatric Developmental Pathology 1(2): 1009.
- 2016 – Sanz-Mengibar JM, Santonja-Medina F, Sanchez-de-Muniain P, Canteras-Jordana M. Can clinical assessment of locomotive body function explain gross motor environmental performance in cerebral palsy? Journal of Child Neurology 31(4): 474–480.
- 2013 – Sanz-Mengibar JM, Santonja-Medina F. Inter and Intrareliability and correlation of the classification system for children with cerebral palsy: GMFCS and Locomotor Stages according to Dr Vojta [in Spanish]. In AM Pérez Gorricho (ed.), Terapia Vojta en los diferentes estadios de desarrollo motor y postural del ser humano (III Jornada Internacional de Terapia Vojta en España), 66–74. Din Impresores: Madrid. ISBN-10: 84-695-8682-3
- 2012 – Perales López L, Sanz-Mengibar JM et al. Ontogenesis and reflexlocomotion therapy according to Vojta as approach for hand therapy. A case study [in Spanish]. Fisioterapia y calidad de vida 15(3): 30–35.
Jose has wide experience treating children and adults with neurological disorders such as:
➢ Central motor disorders such as cerebral palsy.
➢ Peripheral or secondary motor palsies: Neural tube defects, Obstetric brachial plexus palsy (OBPP).
➢ Genetic conditions
➢ Neuromuscular disorders
➢ Various myopathies
➢ Multiple sclerosis
➢ Spinal cord injuries
Childhood Developmental Checks
➢ Developmental checks for children with no neurological conditions but never-the-less you may have concerns about your childs progress.
➢ Orthopaedic-postural problems.
➢ Back-spine postural disorders – misalignments (scoliosis), pain and functional limitations.
➢ Joint misalignment including Congenital Hip Dysplasia, hip subluxation, hip luxation.
➢ Postural asymmetries (torticollis, scoliosis, plagiokephaly)
➢ Deformities and range of motion restrictions
➢ Sport related injuries.
Jose’s sport background is competition Artistic Gymnastics, grading his experience from motor disability to high-level competition at any age.
Jose speaks fluent English, Spanish, Italian, and can also provide therapy in German language.
- Clinical Evaluator FSHD ReSolve. International Clinical trial readiness to solve barriers to drug development in Fascio Scapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy. Multicentre Prospective Study including investigational medical device. University College London Hospital (UCLH). Queen Square Centre for Neuromuscular Diseases. Sponsor: Department of Neurology, University of Kansas Medical Center.
- Principal Investigator off site: “Hospital Materno Infantil Teresa Herrera” (A Coruña, Spain): “Effect of Vojta or Reflex locomotion therapy on the gross motor function of children with cerebral palsy”. Research Ethics Committee of the University of Murcia (1823/2018). Spain
Books [In Spanish]
In press. Chapter 21: Functional Level in Children with Cerebral Palsy. [Nivel funcional del pacientes con parálisis cerebral.] in Santonja Medina, F. Manual de Exploración Musculoesquelética. Panamericana. (259-268).
In press. Chapter 33: Vojta Therapy in early intervention. In “Physiotherapy in early intervention. Child, family and environment focused approach”. [Aportaciones de la terapia Vojta en la intervención fisioterápica en Atención Temprana. Fisioterapia en Atención Temprana. Una intervención dirigida al niño, la familia y el entorno.]. Panamericana.
- Fifty Exercises for your baby. Libsa (ed.) ISBN 978-84-662-1725-5
- Fifty questions about parents and babies. Libsa (ed.) ISBN 978-84-662-1727-9
- Fifty advices about baby crying. Libsa (ed.) ISBN 978-84-662-1726-2
- Baby massage, exercises and stimulation. Libsa (ed.) ISBN 978-84-662-1529-9
- Therapeutic exercises. Libsa (ed.) ISBN 84-662-1304-X
- Therapeutic massage. Libsa (ed.) ISBN 84-662-1245-0
- Massage guide. Libsa (ed.) ISBN 84-662-1246-9.
Find more about me at www.vojta.co.uk
A Metro news article featuring one of Jose’s clients, a young boy with cerebral palsy and a rare condition called Twin Anemia Polycythemia Sequence (TAPS) and his mother: https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/28/boy-2-cant-play-or-talk-with-his-twin-brother-after-suffering-stroke-in-womb-15650539/